Guiding You Through The Adult Guardianship Process

We understand that you want to make certain your loved ones are cared for when they can no longer take care of themselves. Everyone has extremely individual and personal needs, which can require appointing a trusted adult guardian to manage a loved one's affairs. We analyze your circumstances and, by walking you through the entire process, provide guidance on whether an adult guardianship is appropriate to your circumstances.

What Do I Need To Do To Establish A Guardianship?

To establish an adult guardianship, you will need to petition the local court. Before a court will order a guardianship, you will need to establish that your loved one (the "ward" or also referred to as the "disabled person") cannot handle his or her own affairs. This can be accomplished with a statement from his or her physician.

We work with you to make certain your loved one receives the best possible care. We understand the laws applying to guardianship and will let you know what to expect when it comes to guardianship administration and any hearings necessary to establish guardianship. Since this may be an extremely difficult time for you, we can help you better understand the legal process and requirements so you can make an informed decision about your loved one's future.

Resolving Guardianship Disputes

Disputes often arise leading to contested guardianships. The individual who is the subject of the guardianship is entitled to an attorney at any guardianship hearing and has the right to contest having a guardianship established. There may also be contests as to which the family member is the best person to act as guardian.

We resolve disputes and work toward keeping your guardianship matter out of court while also preserving the important family relations, to the extent possible.

How To Contact Our Law Firm

Please contact The Law Office of Denise D. Nordheimer, Esquire, LLC, located in Wilmington, to set up an initial appointment by calling 302-655-4500.